XMod Pro Module Kit - User Comments Form & System
As an example kit to show off the flexibility of XMod Pro to create form module solutions for DotNetNuke, we have put together a fully-customizable comments system.
This Module Kit for use with XMod Pro is a ready to use comments solution that can be added to any page of a DotNetNuke website. The set of templates and form can be added to any type of page / tab and will allow for comments on the specific page, article, product detail, etc. and is a perfect addition to other article modules, catalog modules, etc. that may not have a customizable comments system. Best of all, this can be added to any/all pages and can provide a consistent look & feel across your DNN site, across all modules/pages.
As a demo of XMod Pro code and functionality, it shows how to use XMod Pro forms to save standard comment data and templates/forms to display the approved comments to the public and comment management to the appropriate DNN administrator / role.
This demo shows elements of XMod Pro and Forms and Templates such as:
- XMod Pro Form Elements - Form elements that are fully customizable such as validation, pre-filled / populated User data such as UserName, FirstName, LastName, etc. if the user is logged in, saving to custom database tables, and will display "thank you" message to the user, and email the administrator a comment posting alert
- XMod Pro Template Elements - The public comment display shows top X approved comments for that page (and additional version that shows top X comments across portal).
- XMod Pro Template Elements - The admin comment manager shows comments that need review/approval and allows for quick review and management
- jQuery UI theme for basic styling
This XMod Pro Form / Template Module Kit is a ready to use module solution. You can modify it to have any additions or changes that you like, however you can also place it onto any page of a DNN website and it will be ready to work, providing user comments and feedback for any page in your DNN site! Use this one module across all pages, regardless of content and other modules/systems to provide a consistent look & feel for your user comments.
XMod Pro Module Kits: Notes & Instructions
- XMod Pro demos and XMod Pro Module Kits are free for everyone to use! We have developed them to help share popular items and to help train users in the features and functionality of XMod Pro for creating custom module solutions for DotNetNuke!
- To utilize this XMod Pro demo, simply download the Module Kit from the DNNDev Downloads section. Once you've downloaded the file, install it as you would any DNN module. Next, add the kit module to a page. Finally, click the module's "Finish Installation" button to complete the process. The result will be an XMod Pro module instance, configured to use the kits forms, templates, and feeds as needed.
- This Module Kit includes four different modules (forms/templates)
- User/Public Comment Form - Allows users to post their comments. Once posted, an email is sent to the Portal Administrator that relays the submitted text for approval. By default (can be changed) comments are not approved.
- Comment Manager List - Allows administrators quick and easy review of all comments submitted with the ability to Approve/Disapprove as well as read & edit comment title and text.
- Comments Per Page - A display template that is prepared to display all comments submitted for that page.
- Comments Per Portal - A display template that is created to display all comments that have been submitted across that website/portal.
- By placing this module on any page of your DotNetNuke website, you instantly get a complete User Comments and Suggestions/Discussion solution for DNN. Apply individual instances of the module to specific pages, or create one and apply it to every page of the DNN site. This will allow you to have one comprehensive comments system regardless of whether you are using other article modules, gallery modules, or other DNN HTML modules for page content.
- Control whether public (unauthenticated users) or only registered users can submit comments by setting module visibility roles within the module settings.
- By default, the comment records are keyed off of page (Tab ID), but can be edited in the module/sql code to key off of query string, page name, or any other unique identifier that will allow you to pair a comment to that specific page or content.
- This form code is ready to use once installed. However, it can be further extended with your own custom code to create additional features such as the ability to send additional email notices, save additional information in the database, and more! As an XMod Pro module solution, you can easily add, enhance and extend the functionality.
- Consider pairing this module up with the XMod Pro Star Ratings & Share Module Kit to have both star ratings / ranking and user page comments on the same page.
- The jQuery involved is compatible with all modern web browsers and with jQuery versions 1.6.4+.
- This XMod Pro Module Kit features several XMP Forms and Templates. Please check the install manifest for Template and Form names, and setup XMod Pro module instances to test and use each of the Templates and Forms in this XMP Module Kit.
Display user Comments List per page or per portal.
Allow anonymous comments or registered users only, pre-fill authenticated user info in comments.
XMP User Comment Form sends alert email to portal admin, manager allows quick approval and edit/delete administration.